Do I need surgery if my Knee Hurts ?
The knee is the largest joint in the body and it allows you to sit, stand, squat, walk, and jump. There can be so much pressure applied on the knee with daily activities. So, there is no wonder if you experience knee pain at some point of time. There are several people of different age groups who suffer from knee pain due to various causes. But you do not need to bear this pain and there are several treatment methods to treat your knee pain.
Causes of Knee Pain
There can be several causes of knee pain. Overusing your knee can lead to knee problems. Being obese also puts more pressure and weight on your knee and has the risk of knee problems. The following are the other causes of knee pain:
- Arthritis: There are several types of arthritis and osteoarthritis is the most common type affecting the knee. This condition causes the tear of the joint’s cartilage and is commonly seen in middle age and old age people. Rheumatoid arthritis causes inflammation of the joints and can also damage the knee cartilage.
- Sprained ligaments: A ligament sprain can be caused by a sudden twist of the knee joint. It can cause severe pain, and swelling in the knee.
- Torn cartilage: The meniscus can get torn due to knee trauma. Even sprains can also lead to torn cartilage. A torn meniscus can also occur when you suddenly twist your knee.
- Fractures: Fractures of knee bones such as kneecaps can occur due to a fall or accidents. People who have weak bones can also experience a fracture easily with a simple slip and fall.
- Tendonitis: Activities such as running, cycling, and jumping can cause inflammation of tendons as they are overused. It occurs due to sports such as basketball and football.
- Ligament injuries: A ligament is a tissue that connects the bones and keeps the structures together. The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) can get injured due to sports and they can cause severe pain.
If you are experiencing knee pain, you should consider visiting a doctor to determine the cause of your knee pain.
Is Surgery an Only Option to Treat the Knee Pain?
When you visit a doctor for knee pain, he will ask about your medical history, and your signs. He will first determine the cause of the pain using a physical exam and other tests. Based on the cause, the doctor first recommends non-surgical methods such as the following:
- Medications: Medications are prescribed to deal with the pain and reduce inflammation.
- Physical therapy: The doctor suggests to have physical therapy exercises to improve knee strength and thereby improve the knee movement.
- Rest: Taking rest can also help relieve your knee pain. Do not put pressure on your knee for some days.
- Ice pack: Ice packs can also be used to reduce swelling.
If the above treatments do not provide relief from knee pain, then the doctor suggests undergoing surgery. There are different types of knee surgeries and the doctor will determine the right one for you by considering various factors.
What Are the Signs That Indicate the Need for Knee Replacement Surgery?
The following can indicate the need for knee replacement surgery:
- If the knee pain reoccurs
- The knee pain affects your sleeping and daily activities
- Difficulty in walking and climbing stairs
- If your knees become stiff and swollen
- Pain medications do not relieve your knee pain
- If the knee becomes unstable as arthritis progresses
Suffering From Knee Pain? Contact Dr Ajay Tiwari Today to Know Your Treatment Options
If you have been suffering from knee pain for a long time, Dr Ajay Tiwari is your right stop. Dr Ajay Tiwari has helped several patients suffering from knee pain and helped regain strength with his treatment methods. He offers both surgical and non-surgical methods to treat your knee pain. His motive is to serve the needy and always has a zeal to help his patients. Do not have a second thought and schedule your appointment with Dr Ajay Tiwari right away.