Precautions After PRP Knee Treatment: What to Do & What to Avoid
PRP (Platelet-Rich-Plasma) is an effective and non-invasive procedure for treating chronic and severe knee pain. It is proven that PRP can help the joints to recover faster using your own blood cells and healing factors. These growth or healing factors help reduce inflammation, and improves blood flow, and pain.
The PRP treatment involves collecting a blood sample and then it is placed in a centrifuge device to separate the platelet-rich plasma from the blood. Now, the concentrated solution is injected into the injury site to promote the healing process. However, there are certain precautions to be taken during the recovery phases of PRP knee pain treatment.
Guidelines to be Followed After PRP Knee Treatment
The recovery from a PRP knee treatment varies from one person to another. However, there are certain guidelines to be followed to allow the injected site to heal. Platelets injected during PRP release growth factors that promote the regeneration of tissue and the healing process. It may take up to 7 days for the platelets to release the growth factors. Hence, you should give enough time for the injection to be observed by the tissues surrounding the affected region.
You need to follow the following instructions during the recovery phases:
- Phase 1 (0-3 days): After you had a PRP injection, you need to take proper rest and the use of the injected site should be reduced. But you should make gentle movements at this stage. You may experience mild pain and discomfort following the procedure, but it is normal. It indicates that your body is healing. To promote the healing process, you need to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Along with this, you should also follow the below instructions:
- Avoid using anti-inflammatory medications for at least four weeks after treatment, unless prescribed by your doctor
- Avoid applying ice on the injection site for 72 hours after the injection
- Avoid systemic steroids for at least 2 weeks following your procedure
- Avoid blood thinners for 2 weeks after the procedure
- Avoid hot baths after a few days of injection
- Do not take bath for the first 24 hours following the procedure
- Avoid smoking and drinking for 7 days after the procedure
- Phase 2 (3-14 days): During this phase, you should try to increase your daily activities and reduce the use of assisted devices. To increase the procedure results, you should begin exercise at this stage. It is important to follow the below instructions:
- Avoid activities that exert more pressure or stress on the tendons such as lifting and heavy exercises
- You should continue to avoid alcohol for one week after the procedure
- Avoid using steroids and blood thinners for 2 weeks after your injection
- You can use Tylenol if you experience pain at this stage
- Phase 3 (14 days to 6-8 weeks): At this stage, you need to focus on gaining your full range of motion and helping your body heal from the injection. At the same time, you should also focus on improving your balance and strength. You can make a follow-up appointment with your doctor to know about your healing process. If required, the doctor will make any required adjustments to the treatment plan. At this stage, you can:
- Apply an ice pack 3 or 4 times a day for about 15 minutes as per your comfort
- You can use anti-inflammatory medications at this stage to cope with the pain and discomfort
- You should continue to avoid drinking and smoking and should limit caffeine intake
- Phase 4 (after 8 weeks): As you reach this stage, you can return to your daily routine completely.
Meet Dr Ajay Tiwari for Advanced and Effective Knee Pain Treatment
If you have been suffering from severe knee pain, consider visiting Dr Ajay Tiwari today. He can help you provide the right treatment for your condition. With over 15 years of experience in orthopaedics, he specializes in providing PRP injections for joint tissues such as the knee. With his treatment, you can get relief from your pain and can get back to your healthy lifestyle. Most of our patients find relief after just one PRP treatment. If you have any questions about our PRP treatment, Dr Amit Tiwari is ready to discuss them with you. You just give us a call and he is happy to be with you on your way to improving your health.